Sunday, February 04, 2007

Tacoma?


Tacoma, Washington. Somehow i made it 33 years without setting foot in that town. I would drive by and think "Man, Seaweed was a good band"....and then i would notice a smell in the air (and i didn't create it). I don't notice the smell as much anymore, but that might have to do with breaking my nose so many times. Anyhow, Tacoma was always a town that I would speed by. I never saw a reason to go there. But somehow in the past few weeks i've been there twice. Last night I once again found myself in Hells Kitchen watching some bands play; Strike Anywhere, Shook Ones, Sinking Ships, and Sunset Riders. It was a good show, an early show, and a quick show. The first band started at 5:30, and the last band finished around 7:50. Which is funny because the drive down, not including the hour spent in Seattle, was around 3.5-4hours. But the benefit of an early show is getting home just after 11:30 and catching Drew Barrymore host Saturday Night Live! And since we stopped at the Hagens grocery store in Bellingham on the way back i had ample snacks for watching TV (I bought a case of cherry coke, Blazin' buffalo and ranch dorritos, some donuts, and a box of Cap'n Crunch Berry cereal).
All in all it was a good roadtrip. Strike Anywhere were good as always, it's been close to 2 years since i last seen them. Looking forward to them playing Vancouver in May. Shook Ones continue to be one of my favorite NWHC bands, and Sunset Riders and all the Bremerton kids give me hope for the next generation of NWHC.