Sunday, July 29, 2007

Goodbye to 9535-69th Ave

Next weekend i'll be in Edmonton, to help my parents with packing up their house, as they're moving to Saskatchewan. I'm also going to say goodbye to the house, as it's a place I grew up in. We lived in 3 other places before moving into 9535, but I spent my most formative years in that old 3 story house. It feels weird to know that they're moving out as it's the one thing that has been consistent in my life since the very early 80's. I've moved and traveled around North America, always getting used to a new city or apartment. But i always knew that if I was in Edmonton things would be the same at 9535. Not much has changed at my parents house; the basement is taken up by my dad's model train set, the old white cupboard with canned goods is by the stairs in the basement, the dining room table is still in the same spot and only used for special occasions. Over the past couple years theres been a few, minor changes; new living room furniture and a new stove. But other wise, it hasn't changed much.
I lived in this house until just before i turned 18, and except for a few sporadic nights here & there i've only been inside for short visits no longer than a few hours. I've had some good times & and some bad times in that house. There were many nights as a rebellious teenager where i stumbled in the back door 3-sheets to the wind. My mind floods with memories of the house, so many that it's hard to write them down. We moved into the house when I was young and all i cared about was GI Joe and Hot Wheels. Then came the obsession with music, and getting fucked up. I didn't think my parents would move out of the house, ever. So i'm heading out to edmonton to sit in my old bedroom and recall all the memories of the years spent there. Some memories are good, some are bad.
I had so much more to write in this post, but i just can't seem to generate the words. Maybe it's the cold fogging my brain, or maybe it's the emotions of losing a piece of my history that's making me unable to write. I don't really know....