Sunday, February 25, 2007

Another show in Rain City

A few nights back, Thursday Feb 22nd to specific, I put on another show; Go It Alone, The First Step, Get the Most, Carpenter, Obsolete 5000. As to be expected i got stressed out in the days leading up, culminating in one insane rough night before the show. I guess the stress is always there when I put on a show but this one involved me filing paper work to get the First Step across the border and a hall that was super expensive. But i'm proud to say we pulled it off, and the show was a huge success with more people showing up then we expected!
I was working the door all night and i couldn't help but notice so many new faces coming thru the door. Not to mention people who traveled from Calgary, Edmonton, Grande Prairie, Victoria and Seattle. I couldn't believe people traveled for this show! I've been traveling for shows since I was 16, so i always get excited at the thought of someone traveling for a show I put on. Guess that means i did something right.
But like i said, alot of new faces at the show, which means things are picking up here in Vancouver. This show made me happy about my choice to move here, and made me feel a bit of pride in Vancouver Hardcore. Aram got Ollie to make some really rad Vancouver Hardcore shirts that he gave out to people. Alot of people put them on as soon as they got them, which was especially cool when i was standing at the back of the hall during Go It Alone's set and seeing people in Vancouver Hardcore shirts stage-diving or dog-piling.
And speaking of Go It Alone; best Vancouver Hardcore band. They hadn't played in a while, about 4 months or more, so it was good to see them back on stage. This band just fuckin' kicks my ass. I remember hearing the demo, when it was just a project band, and everything about it just sounded perfect to me. I can't wait for their new LP to come out in a couple months.
The First Step played a great set as well. They're one of the only bands playing Youth Crew Hardcore that don't sound boring or lifeless. Get the Most are a Vancouver youth crew band who also do the style justice, and put on a good set as well. Opening the show was Obsolete 5000, a bunch of high school kids from North Vancouver. They were great, and I can only see them getting better with time. Carpenter played as well, and obviously they were different than everyone else which is why I put them on the show. This band has some crazy good hooks and really knows how to write a song. I can see this band getting onto a bigger label, and I think that everyone needs to hear them. They have this one song that sounds like Texas is The Reason, but is far from being a copy-cat knock off song. So good.
It was a really long day, worked till just after 4, set up the hall, loaded in bands & sound, worked the door, then cleaned up the hall. It was almost midnight when i walked outside, I had been in the Ukrainian Cultural Centre since 5pm. I was tired, but not sleepy. I put my headphones on and hit play on the Tim Barry record and walked home. The crisp, cool air felt good as i cut thru Strathcona and up the Main Street hill, heading home to my couch and a can of cherry coke.