Sunday, April 01, 2007

Good songs

What makes a classic song? This question has been rattling around my brain for months and months now. I've been thinking about it and making a list in my head of songs that are simply amazing. I'm talking about a song that grabs you instantly and gets stuck in your head. The kind of song that you have to listen to, that follows you for years & years. The kind of song that becomes a classic, even if only to you. The kind of song that you put on every single mix tape you make. Maybe some day soon i'll post a definitive list of songs, or better yet post MP3's of the songs i'm talking about. But for tonight, since i'm lazy & feeling tired, I'll just list a couple songs that everyone needs to listen to:
"Trash" - New York Dolls
"First Time" - the Boys
"Suspect Device" - Stiff Little Fingers
"Nervous Breakdown" - Black Flag
"Between Planets" and "Head On" - Jesus & Mary Chain
"Bastards of Young" - the Replacements
"20th Century Boy" - T. Rex
"Baby I Love You" and "Be My Baby" - the Ronettes
"Another Girl, Another Planet" - the Only Ones
"We're Desperate" - X
"Ain't Got No Sense" - Teenage Head

Anyone care to send me a list of songs that they see as definitive, classic and just down-right fuckin' awesome?